Monday, October 29, 2007

GAS TAXES

The State of Minnesota does not need to their gas tax to improve bridges and roads. Instead, they need to look into the money they have saved and how they are spending it. I read an article by Nick Coleman titled “A Penny-wise, Pound-Foolish Government”. The overall message Nick Coleman sent was the government should increase their gas tax by 30-40 cents to help pay for improvements on roads and bridges. He is angry with Governor Pawlenty for not increasing the gas taxes to fix the roads and bridges. He is also mad because the person that he hired to fix the I-35 bridge was the most expensive. Nick Coleman’s biggest point is that a gas tax be the best way and fairest to fix roads and bridges. I disagree with Nick Coleman!

Nick Coleman said the government should increase their gas tax by 30-40 cents to help pay for improvements on roads and bridges. I disagree with his opinion, because they have money and they are spending it on other stuff that we don’t need. I read an article that responded to Nick Coleman that said the government is spending the money from gas taxes on the light rail and bike trails. The government needs to fix the stuff we use more.

Nick Coleman is angry with Governor Pawlenty for not increasing the gas taxes to fix the roads and bridges. I agree with Governor Pawlenty for not increasing the gas taxes, because we already have the money to spend on the roads and bridges, not light rails and bike trails as I said in my first paragraph. I feel that really need to look at how the money is spent and how we can use it better.

Nick Coleman also said a gas tax may be the best and fairest way to fix roads and bridges. I agree with that, but they don’t need to raise it 30 to 40 cents and they just need to use it properly. I think a fair increase would be 5-15 cents per gallon of gas.

To improve bridges and roads, Minnesota should not increase their gas taxes. Instead, they need to look into the money they have saved and how they are spending I think the tax should be raised 5-15 cents per gallon.










By: Troy Simmons

No comments: